Speaking from personal experience, life is easier with sleep! This is probably the most challenging part of being a parent - the lack of sleep...... It's the one thing that you simply cannot prepare for and it can come as a big shock to the system.
So we thought we would share some useful insight from webmd.com on their 9 ways of making bedtime easy (or easier at least). You can find the full content at the below link, but here is a summary -
- Make sleep a priority - set regular go-to-bed and wake up times for the entire family.
- Deal with sleep troubles - signs of sleep struggles include trouble falling asleep, waking up during the night and loud / heavy breathing. This in turn impacts day-time behaviour. This is something we can relate to at Little Tinkers World. Do get in touch with a doctor because it could be something completely unrelated - like diet i.e. an intolerance.
- Work as a team - team work makes the dream work. This can be a stressful time, so getting your partner on board and supportive is key. Look to bring in your child to the team as well, they may feel more a part of it and improve results.
- Routine, Routine, Routine - kids love routine so keep things consistent. Find your routine and stick with it (only tweaking when you need to).
- Bedtime snacks - a small snack before bedtime can help keep your little one stay fuelled through the night. Look at healthy filling options, such as a banana.
- Dress and room temperature - a cool but not cold room is the optimum. Dress your child as you do yourself, thats the best rule of thumb. It will need to be warmer for younger babies.
- Sleep environment - make sure the room is dark and quiet. A peaceful environment is much more likely to get your child in to a bedtime mentality.
- Security object - bedtime means separation which can be difficult for some children. Encourage your little one to pick a toy, object or blanket to take to bed with them.
- One last thing - can i just have.....? A common question to drag out the bedtime routine. Try your best to head these off and stick to your routine.
There you have it - easy! Not all of these will work but some will, and you'll find your flow as a family. But rest assured, you're not the only ones who will need some help with this - keep going, it will happen. Bring on those full nights sleep again!!